Why BB4TheLord2

Why BB4TheLord2: My first blog, bb4thelord.blogspot.com was began a couple years after I became a young widow. After ten years on that journey of widowhood, I took a break from blogging. Now the time has come to begin again. Writing is a gift God has given me and I must get back into using the gifts God has given me.

Friday, April 20, 2018

Rebuilding VI: Armorbearer


As I read through the life of David this week, a word caught my eye. Armorbearer. David not only played his harp for Saul before he did his well-known defeat of Goliath, but it says in I Samuel 16 that David became King Saul’s armorbearer.

And then in the next chapter we read Saul goes to fight the enemy. David's three eldest brothers go with him. But David goes back home to tend the sheep. Before he is gotten to play the harp for Saul, David's reputation is that he is a mighty valiant man, and a man of war. So why not keep him as an armorbearer, Saul? His age? His stature? And how did David feel? Samuel had anointed him. He got called to play for the king. He became his armorbearer. War comes and David is dismissed. Set aside.


I identify with David. I studied last year about being an armorbearer. And even posted on it. I said it then and will restated it here: “Intercessory prayer is the privilege to be another person's armorbearer.” Being a prayer warrior has been the backbone of my Christian life. Ever since I first heard the word as a young Christian, I remember thinking, "yes, I want to be a prayer warrior, Lord." And He has grown me into this act of service. Rarely do I not have people on my heart and have some kind of list I am pray through.


Then came this month. And I felt so worked over I could hardly pray for myself and the boys, let alone others. “Speak, Lord!” was my simple plea as I sought Him and waited. No other words poured out for others. I felt like the prayer mantle had been taken from me. Like I had been dismissed from being an armorbearer.  Ugh!


You ever feel like God put you on a shelf? It is a most wretched feeling. I know that the Lord loves me and He is doing a work of restoration in me. That He needed to clean me up, strengthen me, and settle me on somethings. I get that. But I so identify with David being humbly dismissed as an armorbearer and going out alone in the field waiting for God to speak.


Thankfully, gradually the Lord burdened my heart to pray for someone. Then another. And another. Slowly I felt being taken off the shelf. I finally was able to pray aloud at prayer meeting last week. And tonight I made my first prayer list in weeks.


What a privilege to pray over that list of others I am burdened for! I am not at full strength yet. I know it. My list is half the size it usually is. But I feel like the walls of my Jerusalem are almost all rebuilt and though the enemy attacks, I am stronger and not so vulnerable. And I am back at my post donning my privileged prayer mantle. Thank You, Christ Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment