Why BB4TheLord2

Why BB4TheLord2: My first blog, bb4thelord.blogspot.com was began a couple years after I became a young widow. After ten years on that journey of widowhood, I took a break from blogging. Now the time has come to begin again. Writing is a gift God has given me and I must get back into using the gifts God has given me.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Running Ahead


I found this on Pinterest and it hit me like a ton of bricks! 

I picture myself like a child holding Christ's hand walking along a path. Then I drop His hand and run ahead of Him down the path. It curves this way and that and there are many splits off of the main path we had been on. I run ahead, losing sight of Christ behind me. Sometimes I pick a side trail and wander even farther from my Jesus. 

What makes me run ahead? Many things. Anxiousness, impatience, pride, fear, worry, stubborness, false wisdom, displaced zeal, an independent spirit, rebellion, and ultimately, unbelief. 

Then suddenly I find myself alone, lost, and exhausted. Sometimes wounded. Sometimes paralized in fright. Sometimes dealing with devastating consequences. In desperation and despair, I cry out. And faithful Jesus comes.

In mercy, He calms me. Heals me. Holds me. Strengthens me. Pours out grace on the sharp consequences. He takes my hand and lovingly walks me back to His path. As we walk, He speaks to me compassionately and yet sternly, "Don't run ahead of Me. I know what is ahead of us. I know the best way to get to where I am taking you. Enjoy the journey with Me. Don't run ahead of me, child."

I am so thankful the Lord is longsuffering and merciful. As I look back on my life, this sin of running ahead of Him has been a constant struggle for me. 

"Don't run ahead of Me." The head knowledge of this keeps getting knocked out of my hand. The last year or so the Lord has been working in my life to make this truth a part of me. To ingrain it deep within my soul. 

As the Lord has been doing His restorative work on my heart, I hear Him whisper lovingly, "Don't run ahead of Me, child." I find myself frequently turning to Him making sure I have hold of His hand and am safely by His side. 

Yes, the relationship is the treasure on this journey, not the destination. And again, I rest in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment