Why BB4TheLord2

Why BB4TheLord2: My first blog, bb4thelord.blogspot.com was began a couple years after I became a young widow. After ten years on that journey of widowhood, I took a break from blogging. Now the time has come to begin again. Writing is a gift God has given me and I must get back into using the gifts God has given me.

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Uzzah: Be More Mindful

In 2 Samuel 6, I was reading about Uzzah. David was bringing the ark of the covenant back to Jerusalem. They had it being carried on a cart. It got tipsy. Uzzah touched the ark to steady it and was instantly killed. Whoa! 

What happened? God had specific instructions on how the ark was to be carried and they were not being followed. There was also specific instructions on who was allowed to touch the ark. I did a little research on Uzzah and something really stood put to me. 

The ark had been in his father's house for 20 years! 
The Philistines had taken it, had some negative consequences for it, and had sent it back to the Israelites. The ark of the covenant stayed in the home of Abinadab. For 20 years I Samuel 7:1-2 tells us. Eleazar was in charge of guarding it. I am not sure where he was when this ark was returned. He is not mentioned. But his two brothers, Ahio and Uzzah, were involved in its transportation back to Jerusalem. 

What really stood out to me is how comfortable we can be come with God's holiness that we forget to be reverent to Him. 20 years is a long time to have such the sacred ark of the covenant in his home. Uzzah grew up with it there. 

I grew up going to church and hearing Bible stories. But I took it for granted. I got saved at the age of 21. I have been having a close personal relationship with Christ for over 21 years! He is my best friend. But I must stay very mindful of His Holiness, of His Supeme Authority, of His Justness, of His abhorring of sin, and what my responsibilities to Him are. 

Like Uzzah, what seems right in my eyes might be very against something He instructs in His Word.

Did Uzzah know they were transporting the ark wrong? Maybe. Maybe not. 
But transporting it was a sacred thing and there should have been inquiring to make sure it was done God's way. 

May we all seek God's Word more & learn His ways, and be ever mindful of His Holiness and Power. We can go to Him about anything. But we must be mindful of Who He is and who we are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment